Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups
Our zucchini lasagna roll-ups allow for you to recreate a classic Italian dish in a fraction of the time that it takes to make a traditional lasagna.
2 medium (392 grams) zucchini
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
2 tablespoons unbleached flour
½ cup ricotta
½ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1 large egg
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup tomato sauce (Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe)
½ cup mozzarella, low-sodium
8 x 8 inch baking dish
Vegetable slicer (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into ⅛-inch thick slices, or 8 slices per zucchini with a knife or vegetable slicer like a mandolin or hand-slicer. Lay zucchini slices on a baking sheet covered with a paper towel to soak up excess moisture.
- Brush olive oil onto the zucchini slices with a pastry brush. Sprinkle the slices with half the oregano, black pepper and flour, using just a pinch of each item on each slice.
- Flip each slice to the unseasoned side. Repeat step 3 onto the second side, using up the remaining seasonings.
- Place 3 to 4 spiced and floured zucchini slices into the microwave on top of paper towel, with an additional paper towel on top.
- Microwave for 40 seconds and remove. Continue in batches until all zucchini slices have been microwaved.
- Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg and garlic powder in a small mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce onto the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Spoon a layer of ricotta cheese onto each slice of zucchini. Roll up and place in a baking dish vertically (so you can see the spiral), packed together tightly.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and bake until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted, approximately 20 minutes.