Zero Waste Creamy Cauliflower Carrot Ginger Soup
Here is a great opportunity to experience the satisfaction of using all parts of the vegetable and reduce food waste. Note the concept of ‘croutons’ made from the outer stem and leaves of the cauliflower.
¼ of recipe
Cook time: 20min
1 medium (558 grams) cauliflower, whole with core, cut in florets and chunks, with the stem and leaves
2 tablespoons coconut oil
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 bay leaves
1 large (72 grams) carrot, chopped
3 stalks (120 grams) celery, chopped
2 inches (8 grams) ginger root, peeled, grated, and chopped
¼ cup red lentils
3 cups vegetable stock, low sodium
1 lime, juiced and zested
1 tablespoon olive oil for garnishing
¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
- Chop the leaves and stalk/stem of the cauliflower into approximately 1-inch pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Sauté the cauliflower stalks with ⅛ teaspoon each of salt and black pepper until they are golden (about 4-5 minutes). Set aside.
- Combine the ground cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, turmeric, with the remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper in a ramekin and mix well.
- Add to the same pot used to sauté the cauliflower stem and leaves and toast spices and bay leaves over medium-low heat until they become fragrant (about 4 minutes).
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil, along with the carrots, celery, and ginger, mixing to coat with the spices. Sauté for another 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the cauliflower florets, cauliflower stalks, red lentils and the stock to the pot. Increase heat to boil then reduce to a simmer over medium heat for about 8 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves. Puree the soup with the lime juice in batches in a blender or with an immersion blender.
- Serve in bowls, topping each serving with the sautéed cauliflower leaves, chopped parsley and drizzle with olive oil.