Winter Fennel and Citrus Salad
Fennel is an indigenous Mediterranean root and herb filled with vitamins and minerals like Vitamin C. It is also filled with fiber to help lower cholesterol. This flavorful vegetable has a slight licorice taste that adds complexity to many different dishes.
Cook time: -
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon dill
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon honey
⅛ teaspoon black pepper, freshly grounded
2 cups fennel, thinly sliced, hard bottom and roots removed
½ small (70g) red onion, thinly sliced
2 cups arugula
2 tablespoons dill, minced
1 medium (139g) orange
1 tablespoon hazelnuts, toasted (optional)
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar and close with lid tightly.
- Shake vigorously to mix well.
- For the salad, combine the fennel, onion, arugula, and dill into a shallow serving bowl. Stir to combine evenly.
- Peel the orange and slice from side to side to make thin citrus rounds. Add to the bowl and arrange attractively among the other ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss lightly, maintaining an attractive presentation of the citrus rounds.
- Serve the salad slightly chilled. Enjoy!
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions