While root veggies tend to have high potassium, this mixture of roots, zucchini, and flavorings, makes for a kidney-friendly way to enjoy these crunchy treats – any time of year!
Cook time: 15min
1 small (118 grams) zucchini
1 small (82 grams) beet
1 small (34 grams) parsnip
1 medium (61 grams) carrot
4 medium eggs
½ cup unbleached flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup parsley, chopped
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
¼ teaspoon paprika
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup applesauce
- Grate the zucchini and strain excess water by squeezing in your hand.
- Grate beet, parsnip, and carrot and add to the zucchini.
- Combine eggs, flour, garlic, parsley, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and paprika.
- Heat half the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Scoop the mixture one tablespoon at a time. Flatten each with the back of a wooden spoon. Note: Do not crowd the pan with too many latkes or they will not get crispy enough.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Serve with store-bought or homemade applesauce.