Cook time: 30min
Total: 1hr 0min
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, whole
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, whole
1 teaspoon mustard seeds, whole
¼ teaspoon black peppercorns, whole
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, whole
2 cups basmati rice
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 (2-inch) piece of ginger, finely grated
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon hot chili flakes
1 medium (70g) onion, quartered
1 can coconut milk
1 cup green peas, frozen
1 medium (61g) carrot, diced
1½ cups cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- Heat the dry spices in a cast iron skillet over low to medium heat for 2 minutes.
- While the spices are heating, cook the rice per the package directions.
- Add coconut oil and sauté over low to medium heat until the spices are slightly browned and popping, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ginger, turmeric and hot chili flakes. Cook over low to medium heat for 6 minutes, until aromatic.
- Remove from heat and blend the cooked spices into a paste in a blender with the onion.
- In a separate pan, heat the coconut milk until bubbling. Add the spice paste and whisk together to combine thoroughly.
- Add the prepared vegetables and simmer until they are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve one cup of curry over rice and enjoy!