Cook time: 18min
¼ cup coconut oil, semi solid at room temperature
½ cup powdered sugar
2 ½ tablespoons plain non-dairy yogurt (Almond Dream ®)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ to 1 teaspoon cardamom, ground
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup spelt or whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached enriched flour
⅛ cup dried cranberries, chopped
⅛ cup dried apricots, chopped
⅛ cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream the coconut oil, sugar and non-dairy yogurt until smooth and creamy with the hand mixer on medium speed.
- Add in the vanilla and cardamom. Mix well for 30-45 seconds on medium high.
- Add the baking soda and salt to the spelt flour.
- Add ½ cup of the flour mixture to the coconut oil mixture. Mix thoroughly with a mixing spoon.
- Add flour ½ cup at a time to form a soft dough. If too dry, add a teaspoon of water. If too sticky, add a tablespoon or more flour.
- Add the dried fruit and nuts to the mixture.
- Work it into the dough thoroughly.
- Shape the dough into a 1 to 1 ½ -inch width log. Fold a parchment sheet over the log and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Remove the log from the freezer.
- Slice into ¼ inch thick slices and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until baked through. If your oven runs hot, bake for less time; the cookies get more hard and crunchy when over-baked.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.