Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
This recipe is quick, easy, healthy, and delicious. We’ve lightened the classic taco by using ground turkey and replacing tortillas with lettuce wraps. Feel free to top with your favorite salsa or hot sauce as long as they fit within your dietary needs.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup medium onion, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash® chili powder
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
⅛ teaspoon coarse grain (kosher) salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup water
1 tablespoon low sodium tomato paste
Zest of 2 small limes (2 teaspoons)
Juice of one the limes (1 Tablespoon)
6 large romaine lettuce leaves, washed
- Heat pan over medium-high heat and add oil. When oil is hot, add onion and pepper and cook until onions are beginning to turn translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add turkey and seasonings and cook, 5 to 6 minutes or until the pan starts to seem dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the water and tomato paste and add to the pan.
- Cook until water evaporates but meat mix still looks moist, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime zest and juice.
- Serve ½ cup of the meat mixture onto each lettuce leaf.