Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
This recipe is quick, easy, healthy, and delicious. We’ve lightened the classic taco by using ground turkey and replacing tortillas with lettuce wraps. Feel free to top with your favorite salsa or hot sauce as long as they fit within your dietary needs.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, stemmed and seeded, diced small
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
½ teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 pound ground turkey, 93% lean or breast meat
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup water
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons lime zest
8 large butter lettuce leaves
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add onion and green bell pepper and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix and toast until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato paste and allow to caramelize slightly, 2 minutes.
- Add turkey and mix, breaking up the meat with a spoon. Cook until turkey is browned and no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add water and stir up any brown bits stuck to the pan. Simmer until liquid thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in lime juice and zest.
- To serve, scoop ½ cup of the turkey taco mixture onto a lettuce leaf and enjoy.