Tunisian Breakfast Tajine
We usually think of a tajine coming from Morocco, where the ingredients are braised on the stove. In this recipe from Tunisia, the spices bring the familiar tagine flavor profile, but the oven-baked concept with eggs and cheese, is very different but delicious and quick!
⅛ of recipe
Cook time: 55min
Total: 1hr 15min
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
½ teaspoon saffron
¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small (110 grams) onion, chopped
8.8 ounces (249 grams) chicken breasts, diced
2 cups (200 grams) cauliflower, chopped
2 small (130 grams) golden beets
1 cup water
1 cup parsley leaves, chopped
8 large eggs
5 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
9 x 13-inch baking pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray the baking pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the spices together (grinding any whole spices if necessary). Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium skillet or pot over medium heat. Reduce heat and add onions and cook until softened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Combine chicken with 1/2 of the spice mix.
- Add spiced chicken to the onions. Increase heat slightly and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and golden beets to the pan. Sauté for 3-5 minutes on medium heat or until cauliflower and beets are tender. Add one cup of water to the pan and simmer the vegetables until they are soft.
- Add parsley to the vegetable and chicken mixture. Cool.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the cheese, crumbled.
- Add the chicken and vegetable mixture. Add the remaining spice mixture.
- Stir everything until well-combined. Turn into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until set in the center.
- Cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serve with some harissa, if you like.