Toad in a Hole
The classic version of this recipe uses bread rather than the pepper ring. This version provides more nutrients, variety and flavor! You can always enjoy it with some toasted white bread.
1 egg + ¼ pepper
Cook time: 8min
1 large (164g) bell pepper
4 large eggs
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
½ cup parsley, chopped
- Cut the bell peppers width-wise, into 4, half-inch-thick rounds or rings. Remove all seeds.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and spray lightly with cooking oil.
- Place the bell pepper rings in the skillet (so you see the ring) and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Flip each ring. Crack an egg into the middle of each one.
- Season with pepper and cook the egg until desired consistency (2-4 minutes).
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve each egg with a garnish of chopped parsley.