Thai Chicken and Coconut Milk Soup
You are sure to find this classic and delicious soup on the menu at almost any Thai restaurant. It is easy to make at home and packs bold flavor.
Cook time: 15min
1 cup chicken broth, gluten free (Pacific Foods™, Field Day®, or Imagine® Foods)
1 can coconut milk (full fat, not “lite”)
1 cup water
1 medium (28 grams) shallot, sliced
1 long lemongrass, sliced
5 to 6 (minimum) Thai chili peppers, or 1 to 2 jalapeños, sliced
3 small chicken thighs, boneless, cut into bite-sized pieces
½ medium (59 grams) yellow pepper, chopped, 1-inch sized pieces
6 medium (72 grams) mushrooms, sliced
1 cup cabbage, sliced
½ cup basil leaves, coarsely chopped
3 to 4 cilantro, chopped
½ cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped
½ tablespoon fish sauce, gluten free (Thai Kitchen®)
2 limes, juiced
1 to 3 teaspoons sugar, to taste
3-4 kaffir lime leaves, dried or frozen (optional)
Mortar and pestle
- Bring the chicken broth, coconut milk and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bruise and crush the sliced shallot, lemongrass, and peppers using a mortar and pestle to release their flavor and oils.
- Add to the boiling liquid. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the broth. Cook 4 to 6 minutes, or until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add the vegetables into the broth.
- Add half the herbs, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar a little at a time. Taste repeatedly until a balanced flavor is achieved.
- Add a handful of remaining herbs to each bowl, then ladle in the hot soup.
- Serve hot with more lime and chilies on the side for people who desire more heat.