Swiss Chard Crostini
A healthy snack can be quickly assembled and more satisfying and nutritious than chips from a bag. These crostini take advantage of the deliciousness and low potassium nature of Swiss Chard, pairing them with a scant amount of creamy ricotta!
½ baguette, sliced into 10, ½-inch slices
½ bunch (6 ounces) Swiss chard
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons water
½ cup Ricotta Cheese
Makes: 5 Serving size: 2 slices
- Toast the baguette slices in a toaster oven or regular oven on 300°F until lightly browned.
- Remove the stems from the Swiss chard. Layer leaves in piles of 4 leaves to a pile. Roll horizontally and slice through the rolls to create ribbons of the leaves.
- Repeat until all the leaves have been sliced.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the Swiss chard and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add water and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the chard is tender but still bright green.
- To assemble, place the toasted baguette slices on a serving plate. Spread each slice with a scant layer of ricotta. Using tongs, arrange the cooked chard attractively over the ricotta toasts. Enjoy as a snack or serve as an appetizer!
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions