Cook time: 36min
4 medium zucchinis
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium tomatoes, diced
½ cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
8 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional, not included in nutritional analysis)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, set aside.
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller or a teaspoon, remove the seeds and flesh, leaving about ¼-inch of the flesh intact to form a hollowed shell or “boat”.
- Place the zucchini boats on the prepared baking sheet.
- Chop the zucchini flesh.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the zucchini flesh, tomato and onions, until onions soften, 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute. Season with pepper, if using.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Divide the tomato mixture between the zucchini boats.
- Combine the parmesan and breadcrumbs in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of the tomato filling.
- Bake until the zucchini is tender and the tops are golden brown, 30 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle the zucchini boats with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with basil.