Cook time: 15min
4 medium chicken breasts
4 tablespoons olive oil
Pepper, to taste
2 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese (or other semi-hard cheese), grated
16 large basil leaves
⅓ ounce Grana Padano cheese, grated
Sea salt (optional)
- Spread out the chicken breasts onto a cutting board and cover with plastic wrap. Pound with a mallet so each breast becomes thinner and flatter. Remove the plastic wrap.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over the flattened chicken breasts. Season with salt, if desired, and pepper.
- Grate the Pecorino Romano cheese into a cup. Spread the grated cheese over the flattened breasts, distributing evenly.
- Place four or more basil leaves over the cheese on each breast, covering the cheese. Grate the Grana Padano cheese over the basil on each breast.
- Roll up each breast and secure with a toothpick. Moisten the outside with a bit more of the olive oil; season lightly with additional pepper.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan on high heat. Grease the pan with the olive oil. Cook the stuffed breasts until they are cooked thoroughly, about 12 minutes or more, depending on the size of the breasts. Check for doneness before serving.