Stir Fry Cabbage and Glass Noodles
This stir fry cabbage with glass noodles is a delicious example of home-cooking in Northern China. It is typically served with a warm bowl of steamed rice and represents a savory side dish in a multi-course meal for the family.
1/5 of recipe
Cook time: 35min
2 bundles (100 grams) bean thread vermicelli or glass noodles
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ pound (227 grams) ground chicken
2 teaspoons (3 grams) ginger root, minced or grated
2 medium (30 grams) scallions, chopped
2 (6 grams) garlic cloves, sliced
2 teaspoon ground white pepper
½ teaspoon five spice powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
1 medium (110 grams) onion, sliced
1 small (74 grams) red bell pepper, sliced
½ medium head (450 grams) cabbage, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons Kikkoman® soy sauce, less salt
1½ teaspoons sugar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Soak the vermicelli in water for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet or wok pan over medium heat. Add the ground chicken and brown, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add ginger, scallion, garlic, pepper, five spice powder, and cumin powder. Cook for 1 minute. Transfer chicken mixture to a bowl.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in the skillet or wok over medium heat. Cook onion and red bell pepper for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir occasionally until softened and browned.
- Add cabbage and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, stir occasionally, until softened.
- Combine vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and water into a bowl and mix well.
- Add the drained vermicelli and ground chicken to the skillet. Pour the sauce mixture over the ingredients in the skillet. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- Drizzle the sesame oil on top. Serve and enjoy!