Spinach Salad with Pear Vinaigrette and Toasted Sunflower Seeds
If your pears become very ripe and soft and too messy to eat whole, there is no need to waste them. The vinaigrette for this salad is a delicious way to avoid waste.
Cook time: 5min
3 cups (90 grams) baby spinach, fresh
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, raw
½ medium (89 grams) pear, very ripe, cored and diced
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
½ tablespoon mint leaves, roughly chopped
Stand blender or immersion blender
- Place the cleaned and dry spinach in a serving bowl.
- Heat a small skillet on medium heat. Add the sunflower seeds to the hot, dry skillet.
- Toast the seeds, stirring constantly until they develop a light brown color.
- Remove from heat into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place ½ cup of the diced pear, vinegar, olive oil and mint leaves in a blender or a cylinder of an immersion blender. Set aside any remaining pear pieces.
- Process on medium speed to break up the pear, about 15 seconds.
- Increase speed and process another 30 seconds or more to create a smooth, emulsified sauce.
- Taste test and add more vinegar for seasoning as needed.
- Dress the salad with half the sauce.
- Top with the toasted sunflower seeds and the remaining diced pear and serve.