16 ounces penne pasta (about 8 cups)
3 boneless chicken breasts (about 1¼ pounds)
2 tablespoons oil (such as canola or extra virgin olive oil), divided
½ medium sweet onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
¼ cup no salt added chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup half and half
½ cup Parmesan cheese
Sliced green onion, for garnish (optional)
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon no salt added jerk spice or the following homemade spice blend:
1½ teaspoon garlic powder
1½ teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, adjusted based on desired spiciness
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ginger
Makes: 8 Serving size: 1½ cups
- Cook pasta in a pot of unsalted boiling water until al dente, meaning fully cooked but still somewhat firm to the bite, because it will continue to cook off the stove while the sauce is prepared. Drain and set aside.
- Mix together spice blend, if you are making your own. Cover both sides of chicken with 2 tablespoons of spice blend or jerk spice. Set aside on a plate.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Cook chicken breast, about 10 minutes, turning once halfway, until cooked through and browned on outside. Remove chicken from pan, and let cool several minutes. Cut into slices and set aside.
- In the same pan on medium heat, add remaining oil and onion, and cook until soft, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add remaining tablespoon of oil, all peppers, and remaining spice blend or jerk spice to the pan, stirring to combine well. Cook 6 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, for an additional 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, butter, and half and half to skillet to make the sauce. Mix well. Bring to a simmer, stirring a cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add Parmesan cheese, stirring until melted.
- Mix cooked pasta into the skillet, tossing until completely combined.
- Serve pasta hot. Top each plate with sliced chicken and sliced green onions, for garnish if desired.
Recipe contributed by Natasha Eziquiel-Shriro, MS, RDN, CDN