Spicy Pasta with Chicken
This spin on Rasta Pasta has it all: it’s colorful, creamy, spicy, and low in salt. Mix up this recipe by swapping another low potassium vegetable for bell pepper, such as asparagus, kale, summer squash, wax beans, or mushrooms. Use one cup chopped vegetable to replace one pepper. Enjoy this easy and fun Caribbean pasta dish any night of the week.
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon no salt added jerk spice or homemade spice blend (see tip)
16 ounces penne pasta, uncooked
1¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons oil (such as canola or extra virgin olive oil), divided
½ medium sweet onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and sliced, then cut slices in half (about 1 cup)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced, then cut slices in half (about 1 cup)
1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced, then cut slices in half (about 1 cup)
3 cloves of garlic, minced (3 teaspoons)
¼ cup no salt added chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup half and half
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
¼ cup green onions, sliced thin
- If you are making your own spice blend, mix together and set aside.
- Begin cooking pasta to al dente (still has a somewhat firm bite). If pasta finishes early, drain and toss with 1 teaspoon of oil to keep from clumping and sticking, and set aside.
- Rub 2 Tablespoons of seasoning onto both sides of the chicken.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil. When oil is hot, add the chicken and brown on both sides. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook chicken to 165°F, 8-10 minutes.
- When cooked, move chicken to a cutting board to cool.
- In the same pan, lower heat to medium-low and add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil then the onions and cook until browned and semi-soft, about 2 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Toss the peppers with the remaining teaspoon of seasoning then add to the pan. Stir and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, butter, and half and half. Mix well and let simmer 1 minute, stirring frequently, until butter is melted and incorporated.
- Turn off heat and stir in the Parmesan until melted.
- Add the vegetable and sauce mixture into the pot of noodles and stir well.
- Slice the chicken into 1-inch strips and divide into 8 portions.
- Serve 1 cup of pasta mix and top with a portion of chicken.
- Garnish with sliced green onions.