5 tablespoons olive oil
½ onion, diced
½ red or yellow bell pepper, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 ounces low sodium Spanish chorizo sausage, sliced
3 sprigs thyme
4 cups water
1 (15 ounces) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Black pepper, freshly grounded, to taste
Makes: 5 Serving size: 1½ cups
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper. Reduce heat and cook until softened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the zucchini, garlic and chorizo slices, and cook over medium heat, about 5-8 minutes, or until the chorizo is browned.
- Add more olive-oil if needed.
- Remove thyme leaves from the stems and add them to the stockpot.
- Add water and chickpeas to the pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 15 minutes more.
- Season with pepper and serve.
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions