Spanish Almond Cake
This delicious almond cake is called Tarta de Santigo in Spanish. It’s so easy to make you will learn to rely on it when you have little time to make an impressive dessert.
Cook time: 20min
½ pound (227 grams) almonds, whole blanched
7 ounces sugar
1 medium lemon, zest only
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
¼ cup powdered sugar
8-inch round spring-form baking pan
Small sifter or sieve
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray the baking pan with cooking spray.
- Grind almonds in a food processor to the consistency of almond meal (Note: Grind in batches to ensure the almond meal will have an even consistency).
- Reserve in a small bowl.
- Combine sugar and lemon zest in the same food processor (no need to clean after grinding almonds). Process for 45 seconds to distribute the oils of the zest throughout the sugar.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the sugar and lemon zest mixture. Stir to mix well.
- Add the ground almonds and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is firm to the touch. Cool.
- Unmold and sprinkle with powdered sugar, using a sifter or sieve.