Southern Corn Soufflé
The light and fluffy texture of this dish is delightful and is further enhanced by the winning flavor combination of mushrooms with chives and cheese. Delicious any time of year.
Cook time: 1hr 0min
Total: 1hr 10min
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup mushrooms (white, button), sliced
¼ cup chives, chopped
Pinch sea salt
2 tablespoons unbleached flour
2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1⅓ cups half & half
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
Electric stand blender
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium, oven-proof skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until they soften and yield their juices. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
- Stir in chives and mix well. Set aside.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in the same skillet. Turn off heat.
- Add pinch of salt and the flour. Whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Blend eggs in a blender for 1 minute.
- Add to the butter mixture to the blended eggs and whisk to combine.
- Heat the mixture again on low and add in the corn. Stir to combine.
- Add half & half, whisk to combine. Remove from heat.
- Add the grated cheese and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until slightly golden on top and custard is set.
- Serve as a side dish at brunch or other meal.