2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend
2 pounds collard greens, washed well, stems removed, and leaves chopped
4 cups reduced sodium or no salt added chicken broth
2 tablespoons vinegar (such as apple cider vinegar)
1 cup chopped fresh tomato
Ground black pepper
Makes: 10 Serving size: 1 cup
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil and butter. Add onions and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and chipotle seasoning blend and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Add as many collard greens as possible. Stir to combine well and wilt greens. Add any remaining greens in batches.
- Add chicken broth and vinegar, and cover. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook about 45 minutes or until very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the tomatoes, and season with ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately. Save leftovers for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Recipe contributed by Natasha Eziquiel-Shriro, MS, RDN, CDN