Slow Cooked Steel Cut Oats
This recipe takes time to develop its creamy flavor. Try not to rush the cooking process. Oats are a nutritious source of fiber and the peanut butter adds some plant-based protein to the finished dish.
Cook time: 30min
1 tablespoon coconut oil, or non-dairy butter substitute
1 cup steel cut oats
2 cups unsweetened oat milk, or other non-dairy milk
1 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
¼ cup and 2 tablespoons unsweetened peanut butter
1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the oats and toast for 3 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the milk, water and vanilla to boil, and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cooking time will vary depending on desired texture and consistency.
- Add the maple syrup and peanut butter, stirring to combine.
- Place the oatmeal in serving bowls and top with blueberries.