If you love broccoli but are looking for new ways to prepare it, give this seared version a try. Unlike steamed broccoli, it is crispy with a roasted aftertaste. It is a perfect side dish for meat, fish or even next to eggs.
½ cup of florets
Cook time: 8min
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 cups broccoli, florets only (10 small florets per cup)
½ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy-bottom pan, over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes, followed by broccoli to the pan.
- Season with salt, if using.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Allow the side of the broccoli that is touching the pan to slightly blacken before turning over with tongs.
- Cook for 3 more minutes and add the remaining red pepper flakes.
- Serve immediately as vegetable side dish to a larger meal.