Cook time: 30min
Total: 1hr 0min
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 cups French bread or ciabatta, cubed
¼ cup jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, sliced
½ cup summer squash, thinly sliced
½ cup red onion, chopped
⅓ cup pepper jack cheese, grated
⅓ cup mozzarella, shredded or cubed
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped for garnish
1 9-inch diameter round baking dish or 8-inch square baking dish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the milk, eggs, Dijon mustard and paprika in the bowl of a blender or food processor. Blend or process until smooth.
- Place bread in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer the jalapenos, squash and onion over the bread in an even layer.
- Top with the pepper jack cheese and mozzarella cheese, distributing evenly across the top.
- Add liquid from blender.
- Press down the top of each one with the back of a wooden spoon to remove any air pockets.
- Rest for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm and tops are golden.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the cilantro on top for garnish.
- Serve warm, scooping out the baking dish on individual plates as part of a meal with a salad.