Savory Breakfast Pizza
Ingredients for Pancake:
½ cup Bob’s Red Mill® 1 to 1 gluten free baking flour (contains xanthan)
½ teaspoon baking soda
⅛ teaspoon kosher sea salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, ground
⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or cayenne)
3 large eggs
3 ounces water
2 ½ ounces whole milk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Ingredients for Filling:
1 tablespoon oil
¼ cup red onion, diced
2 teaspoons garlic, minced (about 2 cloves)
3 ½ ounce container of fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced
½ cup asparagus, thinly sliced (about 4 medium spears)
¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
½ teaspoon fresh lime zest
Maple syrup (or balsamic glaze) (optional, not included in nutritional analysis)
Instructions for Pancake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, pepper, nutmeg and pepper flakes together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, water, milk and lemon juice together. Set both aside.
- In a 10-inch oven-safe pan, add the butter and place in the oven until the butter melts, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- While the butter is melting, mix the wet ingredients into the dry until smooth.
- Remove the pan from the oven and swirl the butter around to cover the bottom and sides. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until batter looks dry, with browned edges.
Instructions for Filling and Assembly:
- Add the oil to a pan and heat over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and cook 2 minutes or until they just begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms and cook 3 minutes. The mushrooms will absorb the oil, this is normal.
- Add the asparagus and cook 2 minutes or just until they turn bright green. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When batter is cooked, remove and top with the vegetable mix. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over top and place back in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted (if you have a pan that is oven safe to 450 to 500°F, you may broil until cheese is browned).
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on the parsley and lime zest. Cut into fourths.
- Top with a drizzle of maple syrup (is using) for a hint of sweet, or balsamic glaze (if using) for a slight sweetness and a bit of tang.