Sardine and Veggie Nordic Sandwich
Tinned fish are economical, delicious and vastly underutilized food for tight budgets. Sardines can be found packed in olive oil and even zesty tomato sauce. For summer meals, the olive oil is an excellent foil for crunchy summer veggies with more delicate flavors.
4 slices rye bread, dense, whole-grain
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (homemade preferred)
1 can sardines, in olive oil
1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
5 radishes, thinly sliced
5 sprigs fresh herbs (tarragon, fennel fronds, chervil etc.), chopped
Pepper, to taste
Makes: 4 Serving size: 1
- Spread ½ tablespoon of mayonnaise on each slice of bread.
- Slice the sardines in half, lengthwise. Place ¼ of the sardines prominently over each slice of bread.
- Add sliced fennel to each slice in a decorative manner.
- Add sliced radish in an attractive pattern.
- Dot the fish and veggies with additional mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle each sandwich with chopped herbs.
- Serve with a green salad. Enjoy!
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions