Roast Chicken With Vegetables
It takes the same amount of time to roast a chicken as it does to roast most root vegetables. This one pan meal is easy to make with robust flavors coming from the chicken and vegetables as they roast together. This is the perfect meal after a busy day.
⅛ of recipe
Cook time: 1hr 0min
Total: 1hr 10min
1 3-pound chicken, whole with skin
¼ cup olive oil, divided
Black pepper, freshly grounded, to taste
2 mediums (56g each) carrots, sliced
1 medium (70g) shallot, quartered
1 medium (50g) beet, previously boiled and sliced
2 medium (98g each) parsnips, sliced
Sea salt, to taste (optional)
Organ meat (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove the neck and organ meats from the chicken cavity. Set aside the organ meats if you plan to cook them in this recipe.
- Pour half the olive oil over the entire chicken, distributing it evenly on all sides of the chicken with your hands.
- Season with salt, if desired, and pepper and place it in the center of a large baking dish, breast side up.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the vegetables. Add the remaining olive oil, salt, if desired, and pepper to the bowl. Mix well.
- Transfer vegetables to the baking dish, distributing them evenly around the chicken.
- If cooking the organ meats, place the organ meats in the same bowl that previously contained the vegetables. Season with pepper and toss to mix well with the left over oil in the bowl from the vegetables. Transfer to a corner of the baking dish.
- Roast for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes.
- To serve, carve the legs, thighs and breast from the chicken and transfer to plates and surround it with roasted vegetables and organ meats.