Rice pudding is a beloved dessert in many variations across the globe. Its humble ingredients can be enhanced by aromatic spices, as in this version, and flavors can be further enhanced with almonds and pistachio or dried fruits.
Cook time: 1hr 34min
Total: 1hr 39min
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons Carolina® rice or Uncle Ben’s™ jasmine rice
½ teaspoon saffron, lightly crushed
½ teaspoon cardamom, grounded
6 cups milk
6 tablespoons light brown sugar
½ cup almonds, slivered
¼ cup raw pistachios, thinly sliced
- Heat butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add rice, saffron and cardamom and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add milk and cook, stirring occasionally until milk is reduced by half and the rice is tender, about 90 minutes.
- Add sugar and almonds, and half the pistachios and cook, stirring until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with remaining pistachios.
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions