Red Lentil Stew
In this Indian-inspired dish, the aromatic spices add to its seductive flavor. Most ingredients are pantry items, so it’s easy to prepare on short notice.
¾ cup rice + ⅔ cup stew
Cook time: 35min
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, diced
½ teaspoon cumin seeds, grounded
½ teaspoon turmeric, grounded
½ teaspoon coriander seeds, freshly crushed
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
4 cups water
1 cup red lentils
1 russet potato, peeled and diced
2 cups fresh spinach leaves
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
½ teaspoon lemon juice or to taste
4 cups white rice, cooked
Sea salt, to taste (optional)
- Heat the coconut oil in a pot and cook the onion, jalapeño and spices over low heat, until the vegetables are soft and aromatic, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the ginger and salt, if desired, and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add water and red lentils. Bring to a boil and add the potato.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Add the spinach and cilantro. Stir until wilted. Add lemon juice and adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Serve over cooked rice. Enjoy!
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions