Clafoutis is a classic French dessert traditionally made with black cherries. In this version of the recipe, delicately sweet and tangy raspberries are baked in a delicious flan-like batter.
3 cups fresh raspberries
6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
⅔ cup all-purpose flour
⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup water
⅓ cup half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a deep pie pan or 9 x 9 pan or spray a layer of cooking spray to line the pan.
- Toss the berries with the 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and spread into the bottom of the pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar and salt.
- On medium speed, beat the eggs, butter, lemon juice, water, half and half, and vanilla into the flour mixture until smooth. About three minutes.
- Pour the batter over the berries in the pan.
- Bake 45 – 55 minutes, until set and a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Let cool ten minutes before sifting the powdered sugar over top.
- Cut into 8 even wedges and serve warm.