A welcome alternative to oatmeal, this quinoa porridge can be cooked drier or moister, depending on your preference. And why not top with Concord grapes – that are so tasty and have such a short season in September. The optional creme fraiche turns the texture into a silken delight.
Cook time: 15min
½ cup quinoa
1 cup water
2 tablespoons dried fruit (dates, apricot, cranberries etc.), chopped
2 tablespoons nuts (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.), chopped
½ tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon Concord grapes, berries or other fruit (optional)
1 tablespoon crème fraiche (optional)
- Fill a medium saucepan with quinoa and water.
- Add the dried fruit and heat until the water comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook about 10-15 minutes until quinoa is softened. (Add a couple tablespoons more water if you want a moister, porridge-like texture.)
- Stir in the chopped nuts and remove from heat.
- Divide mixture into 2 serving bowls. Drizzle the maple syrup over the porridge in each bowl. Add sliced Concord grapes or fresh berries for extra antioxidants and a spoonful of crème fraiche to each bowl, if desired.
- Mix well and enjoy!