There is a wallop of appetite satisfaction packed into this simple veggie pizza concept. This will become a ‘go-to’ favorite for your family when you are short on time and need comfort food!
Cook time: 6min
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano
2 (37 grams) portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
6 slices medium (37 grams) bell pepper
8 slices medium (112 grams) red onion
3 tablespoons tomato sauce
6 tablespoons mozzarella cheese, low sodium, grated
2 slices jalapeño pepper, minced
2 (34 grams) cherry tomatoes, sliced
Salt, to taste (optional)
Black pepper, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to broil/grill setting on high.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the oil, garlic, and dried oregano together in a small bowl.
- Brush the smooth bottoms of each mushroom cap with the garlic oil mixture and place each mushroom, gill side up on a lightly greased baking sheet or tray.
- Heat remaining tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced bell pepper and onions. Reduce heat and cook 5 minutes to soften. Set aside.
- Fill each mushroom with 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce.
- Layer 3 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese over the tomato sauce.
- Top with cooked vegetables, minced jalapeño and sliced tomatoes.
- Broil or grill until the cheese has melted and is golden in color (about 4 to 6 minutes).
- Serve with a dash of oregano and season with pepper and salt (if desired).