Poached Pears in Red Wine
Poaching pears is extremely easy and so tasty. This recipe is an elegant version that will impress any guest. It also refrigerates quite well if you decide to make it for yourself to enjoy over the course of a week or so.
Cook time: 15min
6 ripe medium (178g each) pears, peeled and cored, quartered
2 cups red wine (Burgundy was used for nutrient analysis)
½ cup sugar
1 lemon peel, sliced into fine julienne strips
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the pears in a saucepan and add the wine and sugar.
- Add the slivered peel to the saucepan, along with cinnamon, cloves, and vanilla.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until pears are tender.
- Transfer the pears and the lemon peel to a serving dish and set aside.
- Bring the cooking liquid in the saucepan to a boil.
- Reduce liquid to half or until it becomes syrupy.
- Pour the sauce over the pears.
- Cool and serve. You may also prepare in advance and serve chilled.