Persian Polo with Raisins And Lentils
This fragrant rice dish requires a little patience but the reward is a delicious, uniquely flavored and textured dish. This is a great and inexpensive dish for entertaining. Msount the rice high on a platter for a lovely presentation.
1 cup of recipe
Cook time: 1hr 30min
Total: 2hr 30min
2 cups basmati rice
½ cup lentils, dried
4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, unsalted and divided
1 cup raisins
6 tablespoons water, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1½ teaspoons saffron threads
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
⅔ cups almonds, slivered
- Rinse rice repeatedly under cool water in a medium bowl until the water runs clear, to remove excess starch.
- Cover rice with water,1 inch above the rice and soak for an hour.
- Rinse lentils and place in a separate bowl. Cover with water, 1 inch above the lentils and soak for an hour.
- Melt half of the butter in a small skillet over low heat. Add raisins and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Fill a large pot two-thirds of the way with water and bring to a boil.
- Drain the rice and lentils. Add both to the boiling water.
- Reduce heat and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until partially cooked.
- Drain into a colander.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter and olive oil to the large pot. Heat mixture until the butter is melted.
- Ladle the drained rice and lentils over the melted butter mixture.
- Cut the rest of the butter into 4 pieces and dot it on top of the rice.
- Wrap a kitchen towel around the inside of the pot lid and tie the corners around the handle to secure it.
- Place the towel-wrapped lid onto the pot to form a seal. Cook for 15 minutes over medium-high heat. Reduce to low heat and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Reheat the raisins in a small saucepan. Mix the saffron, the remaining water and salt in a bowl. Add the saffron-water mixture and almonds to the raisins.
- Heat the combined mixture in a small saucepan for 2 minutes.
- To serve, spoon half of the rice and lentil onto a large platter, pour half the raisin mixture over it. Combine and repeat with the remaining rice and raisin mixture.
- Scrape the browned, crusty rice, or tadig, from the bottom of the pot. Place on the platter and enjoy.