Persian Celery Stew with Rice
Persian stews utilize unique combinations of savory spices, herbs and citrus. In this recipe, the lime juice balances the richness of the meat and enhances the flavor of the herbs and vegetables for a delectable dish.
⅓ cup stew + ¾ cup rice
Cook time: 2hr 0min
Total: 2hr 20min
2 medium (220g) onions, thinly sliced
1 pound lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
6 tablespoons olive oil
½ tablespoon black pepper, freshly ground
½ tablespoon turmeric, ground
2 cups water
4 cups (404g) celery, chopped into 1-inch cubes
1 cup parsley, chopped
½ cup mint, chopped
½ cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
1 teaspoon saffron
1 tablespoon butter
3 cups basmati rice, white, long grain
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium/high. Sauté the onions and meat for one minute.
- Add salt (if using), pepper and turmeric. Cook until the meat and onions are browned , about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté the celery for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the herbs and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add the celery mixture and the lime juice to the meat in the large pot.
- Cover and cook for 1 ½ hours until the meat and celery are tender.
- Add up to ½ cup additional water if needed to make liquid for the stew.
- While the stew is cooking, prepare the basmati rice per package directions with saffron and butter. Keep warm.
- Season the stew to taste with additional pepper and lime juice.
- Serve over warm basmati rice.