Penne with Tomato, Basil and Parmesan Cheese
This colorful and fresh dish may transport you right to the coast of Italy! Pasta is simply tossed with grape tomatoes, olive oil, basil and parmesan to create a light, refreshing and tasty meal.
12 cups water
3 cups dry penne
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
12 ounces grape tomatoes
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 cup fresh basil, chopped
4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
Makes: 4 Serving size: 1 cup
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for about 12 minutes, or until al dente. Stir occasionally. Once pasta has cooked, drain using a strainer and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add the tomatoes and sauté until tomatoes are soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add pasta and remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the saucepan, and sauté for one minute.
- Add ¾ cup basil and toss in pan until evenly distributed.
- Garnish with remaining chopped basil and parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Recipe contributed by Jen Verola