Cook time: 24min
½ cup unsalted butter
⅓ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup coconut sugar (used Now® for nutrient analysis)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 small egg
1½ cups white all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch sea salt
½ cup pecans, chopped
2 baking sheets lined with parchment
Foil or waxed paper to wrap dough
- Mix butter, brown sugar, and coconut sugar in a medium mixing bowl with a hand-mixer on medium-high speed for 1 minute.
- Add the vanilla and the egg. Mix for another minute at medium-high speed.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt) in a small bowl. Whisk to incorporate the leavening and salt evenly.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, about ⅓ cup at a time and mix with a wooden spoon until well incorporated. Continue until all the dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the chopped pecans and mix to thoroughly distribute.
- Roll into a log (approximately 14 by 2 inches). Wrap in foil or wax paper. Chill for 3 to 4 hours in the freezer or refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice cold dough into ⅛ inch thick cookies, using a knife rinsed in hot water.
- Space cookies 1 inch apart on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake approximately 12 minutes (they will turn slightly brown on the edges).
- Remove cookies and cool on a wire rack. Serve with tea or coffee.