Mushroom Stew with Creamy Polenta
You will be happily surprised at the heartiness of this meatless dish. If polenta is not your thing, you can serve over gnocchi, couscous, or quinoa.
⅔ cup of mushroom stew + ½ cup of polenta
Cook time: 20min
2 cups rice milk, unsweetened
2 cups water
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 clove of garlic
¾ cup polenta
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
Black pepper, freshly grounded, to taste
½ pound portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 pound white champignon mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1½ cup water
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons sea salt (optional)
To make polenta:
- Combine rice milk, water, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the garlic.
- Pour in the polenta when the rice milk mixture begins to bubble.
- Stir swiftly with a wire whisk; continue stirring to avoid any lumps from forming. Stir until thickened.
To make stew:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Cook the onion slices over low heat until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the rosemary with pepper and salt, if desired, to the softened onions. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from stove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil into the now empty skillet and heat. Add all the mushrooms. Stir until they are evenly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Return onions to the skillet and add the remaining ingredients (except butter and parsley). Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Swirl in the butter and stir well. Serve over the polenta.
- Sprinkle parsley over each serving. Enjoy!