Mediterranean Chicken and Figs
Figs are a delicious early fall fruit filled with fiber, calcium and other antioxidants. They are very versatile in cooking and can be added to many recipes for added flavor, texture and enhanced nutrition.
⅙ dish + 1 cup pasta
Cook time: 20min
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
¾ pound chicken thighs, skinless and boneless, cut into strips
1 cup green pepper, sliced
1 cup red pepper, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 small (70g) yellow onion, diced
5 small (40g each) black figs, fresh or dried, sliced (Calimyrna™ or Black Mission™)
½ teaspoon black pepper, grounded
2 tablespoons basil leaves, chopped
¼ cup water
½ lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
6 cups cooked farfalle or other pasta
- Heat oil in a medium skillet or wok.
- Sauté garlic and chicken over medium heat, about 3 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add the sliced peppers, mushrooms, and onions.
- Cover and steam until tender.
- Stir in figs, pepper, basil and water.
- Cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and anise seeds.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions