Cook time: 12min
¼ pound + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup unbleached flour, sifted
½ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
4 large eggs, at room temperature
⅔ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup powdered sugar
3 teaspoons milk
½ teaspoon rose extract
Pink food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butter, using 1 tablespoon, and dust the insides of the madeleine pans with flour. Tap out any excess flour into the sink.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until they thicken and lighten in color, 8 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla until well incorporated.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients, with a rubber spatula.
- Fold in the melted butter quickly, but gently—don’t let it settle to the bottom.
- Bake large madeleines for 11 to 13 minutes, or until the cookies are puffed and golden and spring back when touched.
- Tip upside down; the madeleines should drop out or gently run a butter knife around the edges of the cookies.
- Cool on a metal rack. Served ever so slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Mix powdered sugar and milk with a spoon or electric mixer on low speed in a medium bowl. Stir in rose extract and pink food coloring, if using, until the sugar reaches the desired coloring.
- Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too thick, beat in more milk, a few drops at a time.