Lemony Chicken Soup
This comfort food classic will have everyone thinking you spent all day cooking it from scratch. Full of vegetables, chicken and pasta, this soup is hearty and comforting for the whole family. Soups on!
4 ounces uncooked shell pasta, or other short pasta
2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
1 cup diced onions
½ cup diced celery
6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (use store-bought, or see recipe)
1 bay leaf
12 ounces chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian parsley
Makes: 4 Serving size: 1¼ cups
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and celery. Cover pan and sweat for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add broth and bay leaf. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
4. Add chicken breasts. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 7 minutes.
5. Add carrots and simmer another 5 -7 minutes, until carrots are tender and chicken is cooked. Turn off heat and remove pan from stove.
6. Remove bay leaf and discard. Remove chicken breasts and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, chop into bite size pieces.
7. Return the pan to the stove over medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer and add peas, diced chicken, and pasta and gently simmer approximately 5 minutes, until peas, chicken, and pasta are heated through.
8. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, dill, and parsley.