Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
Adding ricotta to the pancake batter creates a lightness and sweetness that is well complemented by the lemon. After a bite of this recipe, you may never go back to traditional pancakes again!
Cook time: 40min
1½ cups unbleached flour
3½ tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
¾ cup ricotta (low-fat or whole)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon lemon zest
¼ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Create a well in center of flour mixture and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together milk, ricotta, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Add butter, lemon zest and lemon juice to milk mixture. Mix thoroughly (it will curdle a little).
- Pour milk mixture into the well you created in the flour mixture. Whisk just to combine, a lumpy batter will result.
- Heat a cast iron on non-stick griddle or skillet on medium heat.
- Drop ⅓ cup of batter onto buttered griddle – as many as can fit on your griddle or skillet.
- Cook until bubbles appear on surface and bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook on opposite side until golden brown.
- Repeat until you have 10 pancakes.
- Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar, and/or drizzled with maple or berry syrup.