Cook time: -
Total: 1hr 15min
4 large eggs
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup water
1¼ ounce unflavored gelatin
½ cup lemon juice, squeezed
1 tablespoon lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
¾ cup heavy cream
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and place them into separate bowls.
- Place half of the sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add egg yolks to the sugar. Beat with an electric mixer for 5 minutes at high speed.
- Pour water into a small saucepan and place over low heat.
- Add gelatin and stir constantly until it is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Beat in lemon juice and zest into the whipped egg yolks with the electric mixer until well blended.
- Switching to a wooden spoon, blend the dissolved gelatin into the egg yolk mixture. Mix well and refrigerate for 10 minutes (or until the mixture coats the back of the spoon).
- In a stainless or glass bowl, beat the egg whites with the electric mixer at high speed and add the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time. Beat until whites are very stiff, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Fold the whipped whites into the thick yolk mixture with a wooden spoon.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream with the electric mixer on medium-high speed, until it is very thick, about 5 minutes. Fold the whipped cream into the egg mixture.
- Pour into individual serving bowls and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy!