Cook time: 35min
Total: 1hr 25min
⅔ cup blackberries
⅔ cup plum slices (black or red plums)
2 tablespoons raw or regular sugar, divided
1 cup unbleached flour
Pinch sea salt
7 tablespoons butter, ice cold, cut into small pieces
3 tablespoons ice water
1 small egg
Rolling pin or empty wine bottle to roll dough
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the blackberries and plum slices in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Set aside.
- Add remaining sugar, flour and salt to another mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Cut in butter, using a pastry cutter or your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly like small peas.
- Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, just until the mixture comes together. Use only enough to hold the dough together, you do not want a sticky wet dough.
- Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough onto parchment paper fitted over an upside-down baking sheet. The result will be a rustic, uneven edge.
- Arrange the fruit attractively in the center.
- Bring up the edges, sealing by pressing dough together.
- Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon water.
- Brush the tart dough with the egg wash. Sprinkle with additional raw sugar as desired.
- Bake about 30-35 minutes until fully browned and a crispy crust.
- Serve warm alone or with a scant spoon of vanilla ice cream (optional).