Kale and Wild Rice Soup
This vegetable soup is enhanced with the nutty and earthy flavor of wild rice. The wild rice is cooked directly in the soup for great flavor and minimal cleanup.
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup celery, sliced
1 cup red onion, diced small
1½ teaspoons garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup wild rice, dry
6 cups water
2 cups kale, stemmed and leaves chopped
¼ cup parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add celery and onions and stir to coat in oil. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes until light browning occurs. Stir occasionally.
- Season with garlic powder, dried thyme, salt and pepper. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add wild rice, stir, and toast for 2 minutes.
- Add water. Stir to release any food bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Cover and increase heat to bring to boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer over moderately low heat for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.