1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup celery, sliced
1 cup onion, diced small
1½ teaspoons garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup wild rice, dry
6 cups water
2 cups kale, stemmed and leaves chopped
¼ cup parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Makes: 4 Serving size: 1½ cups
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add celery and onions and stir to coat in oil. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes until light browning occurs. Stir occasionally.
- Season with garlic powder, dried thyme, salt and pepper. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add wild rice, stir, and toast for 2 minutes.
- Add water. Stir to release any food bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Cover and increase heat to bring to boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer over moderately low heat for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale and cook until rice is tender, another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
Recipe contributed by Angela J. Foo, MS, RDN, CDN