1 pound beef stew meat
½ cup of red onion, diced
½ cup carrots, chopped
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup apple cider vinegar (or apple cider to reduce tanginess)
2 bay leaves
1 star anise
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cayenne
8 ounces (4 cups) of extra wide no yolks® egg noodles, dry
¾ cup gingersnap cookies (15 large or 20 small)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh basil (about 8 medium leaves)
Makes: 6 Serving size: 1 cup
- If any pieces of stew meat are large, cut them in half so all pieces are near the same size.
- Place beef into a greased Instant Pot®. Add onions and carrots.
- Mix broth, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar (or apple cider if using), bay leaves, star anise, nutmeg, and cayenne together and pour into the pot. If cooking the next day, you can keep it sealed in the fridge. Allow the pot to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before placing to heat in the pressure cooker.
- Ensure the steam release handle is in the ‘Sealing’ position. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes or if using a slow cooker, on low for 6 hours.
- Begin cooking the egg noodles, per package instructions, to al dente (noodles should have a bit of firmness). When done, drain the noodles and set aside.
- In a food processor, add the gingersnaps and brown sugar. Process to a very fine crumb. Set aside.
- Once the 30 minutes are up, release the pressure of the Instant Pot® and turn off the machine. Uncover and remove bay leaves and star anise.
- Add the gingersnap mixture to the pot and stir until it begins to thicken. (It will bubble and foam).
- Add the cooked noodles. Stir, cover and let thicken while you cut the basil.
- To slice the basil: lay the basil leaves on top of each other then roll them up, beginning at one side and ending at the other. Beginning at the top of the leaf, thinly slice across the leaves. When unrolled, they will be small, thin strips.
- Garnish each serving with one teaspoon of basil and serve.
Recipe contributed by Linda Blaylock, Prof. Cook, Kidney Health Coach