Shakshuka has become trendy due to its tastiness and attractive presentation. Here is a green version that makes a great healthy brunch option, especially if you’re looking for something festive to serve to family and friends over the holidays!
Cook time: 25min
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
10 ounces (about 9 cups) of Swiss chard, leaves and stems sliced into ribbons
⅓ cup Half-and-Half or milk
6 medium eggs
¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly grounded
3 ounces (about ¾ cup) goat cheese, crumbled
¼ avocado, sliced
½ jalapeño, diced
¼ cup cilantro leaves
8 fresh corn tortillas, fresh
½ teaspoon sea salt (optional, not included in nutrient analysis)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and reduce heat to low and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the sliced chard and cook until it wilts. Add salt, if desired. Reduce heat and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add the half-and-half or milk and stir to mix well.
- Crack each egg into the mixture, evenly spacing around the pan.
- Sprinkle each egg with freshly ground pepper and cook, covered with lid or foil, on medium-low heat until the eggs are just set, but centers are not hardened, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Top with cheese, avocado, jalapeño and cilantro.
- Slice into 8 equal wedges, like a pie, and wrap each wedge in a warmed tortilla.