Green Lentils and Jicama Salad
Beets and jicama are used in this hearty lentil salad, which is rich with fiber. The citrus dressing provides brightness to the earthy root vegetables. Most ingredients are pantry items, so it’s easy to prepare on short notice.
Cook time: 25min
1 medium (110g) onion, diced
1 medium (61g) carrot, diced
1 cup lentils
4 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup canned salt-free Beets, drained and diced
2 cups jicama, diced
½ cup cilantro, chopped
Sea salt (optional)
1 lemon, zested and half juiced
3 tablespoons shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup olive oil
- Combine the onion and carrot in a saucepan with the lentils, thyme and bay leaf. Add water to saucepan; enough to cover lentils with ¾-inches of water above them.
- Cook over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until tender, but not too soft.
- Prepare the dressing while lentils are cooking. In a small bowl, add all ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk to combine well.
- Place beets and jicama in a large serving bowl.
- Drain the cooked lentils of any excess liquid. Remove thyme twigs and bay leaf. Add the lentils to the beets and jicama.
- Let it cool slightly. Pour the dressing into the bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Garnish with additional lemon zest and cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!