Greek Spinach Pie
Many people are very intimidated to cook with phyllo dough and think making a dish like this is for experts. That is fundamentally untrue. Our instructions are precise and once you give it a try, you will find it so delicious and not nearly as difficult as you had thought. In fact, it will likely become one of your favorites when you want a dish that makes a large quantity so you can freeze some for later.
Cook time: 40min
Total: 1hr 10min
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium (110g) onion, diced
30-ounces spinach, 3 (10-ounces) packages frozen, chopped
4 medium eggs, beaten
4-ounces feta cheese
½ bunch dill, chopped
½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
12 sheets (or 325g) phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, reduce the heat and cook until translucent.
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the spinach.
- Combine cooked onion, spinach and eggs in a large bowl. Crumble the feta cheese into the bowl.
- Add the dill to the spinach mixture and mix well. Season with pepper.
- Heat remaining ½ cup oil with the butter until melted in a small saucepan.
- Paint a layer of oil/butter mixture over the bottom of a baking dish with pastry brush.
- Unroll the phyllo gently and spread on a cutting board. Remove one sheet and cover the balance of stretched-out phyllo with a slightly damp cloth so it will not dry out.
- Place sheet of dough on the dish and paint dough with the butter/oil mixture once again. Repeat 5 more times, layering each sheet on top of the others.
- Spread the spinach/cheese mixture over the top of the dough layers, taking care to spread it evenly.
- Repeat step 9 on top of the spinach/cheese mixture, until you use the rest of the dough.
- Cut through top layers of dough with a large knife, forming 12 even squares.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until lightly golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and cut through the pre-scored slices so the squares can easily be lifted out with a spatula.