Goulash is the national dish of Hungary and one of their national symbols. It is enjoyed as a stew or soup with vegetables and meat, flavored with spices, especially paprika.
⅙ goulash + 1 cup noodles
Cook time: 30min
Total: 1hr 0min
8 ounces pork loin, cubed
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons unbleached flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup green pepper, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 small (50g each) carrots, sliced
3-4 cups water
Pepper, freshly grounded, to taste
12 ounces egg noodles (6 cups of cooked pasta)
½ tablespoon butter
- In a medium skillet, brown the meat in the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic.
- Stir in flour and paprika.
- Whisk in the wine and tomato paste and incorporate well.
- Add in the peppers, mushrooms, carrots and water. Simmer until pork is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Season with pepper and salt, if desired.
- While the goulash is cooking, cook the noodles in a separate pot until al dente. Drain and add the butter to moisten and keep the noodles from sticking. Cover and set aside.
- Serve the cooked stew over the noodles and enjoy!
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions