German Pancake (Dutch Baby)
This is an easy breakfast twist on eggs or pancakes. The puffed nature of the resulting dish is dramatic – a great choice to serve to guests. If you don’t like lemon and powdered sugar, try spreading with your favorite jam or top with fresh berries.
2 tablespoons butter
2 large eggs
⅓ cup milk
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoons nutmeg, freshly grated
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Makes: 2 Serving size: ½ pancake
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the butter in an oven-proof skillet. Heat the butter in the skillet in the oven just until the butter melts but does not burn or turn brown.
- While the butter is heating, beat the eggs into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the milk and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, vanilla and nutmeg. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into the skillet over the melted butter.
- Bake in the oven for exactly 15 minutes; do not open the oven door while it is baking.
- Remove from the oven, divide into 2 servings and plate separately.
- Squeeze the lemon over both halves.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar through a sieve. Enjoy!
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions